Apr 26, 2012

SONGS FOR BERSIH: We're not gonna sit in silence

Here are some songs I want to dedicate to those who are going for Bersih 3.0, April 28 2012. Selamat Duduk Bantah! Cause sitting in and lyin' down are ways to take a stand!

THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT US
MICHAEL JACKSON for BERSIH

(This video was the original version that was withdraw)
Tell me what has become of my rights
Am I invisible because you ignore me?
Your proclamation promised me free liberty, now
I'm tired of bein' the victim of shame

BONGKAR
IWAN FALS for BERSIH

Sabar sabar sabar dan tunggu
Itu jawaban yang kami terima
Ternyata kita mesti ke jalan
Robohkan setan yang berdiri mengangkang

HAVE YOU BEEN TO JAIL FOR JUSTICE?
ANNE FEENEY for BERSIH

Have you been to jail for justice? I want to shake your hand
Cause sitting in and lyin' down are ways to take a stand
Have you sung a song for freedom? or marched that picket line?
Have you been to jail for justice? Then you're a friend of mine

NOT READY TO MAKE NICE
DIXIE CHICKS for BERSIH

(This song is a response to the banning of their songs and the death threats received after the band openly criticised George W Bush)
I'm not ready to make nice
I'm not ready to back down
I'm still mad as hell and
I don't have time to go round and round and round

KINCHANG PENINDAS
AZMYL YUNOR for BERSIH

Bukan sebab engkau malas atau tak larat memintas
Cuma dada kau mengulas terfikir tentang hal menindas

SOMETHING INSIDE SO STRONG
LABI SIFFRE for BERSIH

(This song was written as an anti-apartheid anthem)
The higher you build your barriers
The taller I become
The farther you take my rights away
The faster I will run

SOLO LE PIDO A DIOS
(I ONLY ASK OF GOD)
MERCEDES SOSA for BERSIH

(This song is originally by Leon Gieco, written in response to military dictatorship in Argentina and also the exile of Mercedes Sosa, so that is why in this version, when Mercedes Sosa sang about being sent away, the crowd cheered)
I only ask of God that
I am not indifferent to injustice
For them not to slap my other cheek
once a claw has scratched my luck
(http://www.allthelyrics.com/forum/spanish-lyrics-translation/32506-mercedes-sosa-solo-le-pido-a-dios-translation.html)

CITY OF MUD
JEROME KUGAN for BERSIH

(Sabahan Jerome dedicated the song to our friend, human rights activist Toni Kasim)
They can take everything away
But we'll remain like two rivers that meet
Lovers and friends until the end

ONE NIGHT IN BEIJING
BOBBY CHEN for BERSIH

(This song is a tribute to the Tianamen Square revolution)
I have waited one thousand years why won’t the city gates open
I have waited one thousand years why hasn’t my beloved return
More lyrics (translated by me): http://lyricstranslate.com/en/one-night-beijing-one-night-beijing.html-0

YARA-E-DABESTANI E-MAN
(MY OLD GRADE SCHOOL FRIEND)
IRANIAN STUDENTS for BERSIH

(This song is popular with the Iranian student uprising)
It is your hand and mine that must tear these curtains
Who else but you and I can end this anguish?

DO YOU HEAR THE PEOPLE SING?
LES MISERABLES for BERSIH

Do you hear the people sing?
Singing a song of angry men?
It is the music of a people
Who will not be slaves again!

YOU'RE THE VOICE
JOHN FARNHAM for BERSIH

You're the voice, try and understand it
Make the noise and make it clear
We're not gonna sit in silence
We're not gonna live with fear

I WISH I KNEW HOW IT'D FEEL TO BE FREE
NINA SIMONE for BERSIH

I wish I knew how it would feel to be free
I wish I could break all the chains holding me

TEARS OF MALAYSIA
MALAYSIANS for BERSIH

You can really make a difference
A thousand leagues begin with a single step

TALKIN' ABOUT A REVOLUTION
TRACY CHAPMAN for BERSIH

Poor people gonna rise up
And get their share
Poor people gonna rise up
And take what's theirs

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE DIGITIZED
KSATRIYA for BERSIH

(Penangite Ksatriya wrote the rap inspired by Gil Scot Heron's The Revolution Will Not Be Televised)
It will not be uploaded to a file share network
There will not be an online poll
Should you be unhappy with services provided
The revolution will change service providers

No comments:

Post a Comment